5 Ways to Keep Your Job Search On Track in 2022
Now that the presents are unwrapped and the ball has dropped, it’s time to get serious about your New Year’s resolutions. Most of us have good intentions, but let’s face it…most resolutions get broken before the month of January is out.
According to Psychology Today, “approximately 50% of Americans make New Year’s Resolutions, most having to do with weight loss, eating healthier, improving finances, or getting a new job. But less than 10% successfully achieve their goals.”
If your resolution is to get your career on track, take it to the next level, or even make a complete career change, these tips can help you make sure you stick to it and put you on a path to success.
- Make your resolutions measurable. General promises to yourself, like “Network more often” or “Find a new job” are great goals, but they’re not specific and, therefore, easy to put off. Instead, give yourself specific, measurable goals to achieve. For example: “Go to two networking events every month” or “Research one new company on LinkedIn each day”.
- Create a “project plan”. Finding a new job or career takes work – so treat it that way! Identify the steps you need to take to reach your goal and create an action plan. Write a plan with specific steps and include timelines for accomplishing them. If you really want to get serious, try using a free project management tool like Asana, Trello, or any number of others. For example, if you want to make a career change from sales to marketing, create a step-by-step plan that might include things like: Identify online classes on marketing basics, find a mentor, read an article each day on marketing best practices, volunteer to help the marketing team with a project at work, attend a marketing conference, get a marketing certification, rewrite resume, etc. By breaking down your goal into bite-sized steps and assigning yourself deadlines, you can better track your progress, and the sense of accomplishment you’ll get as you check items off the list is great reinforcement to keep moving forward.
- Make it a habit. A colleague once resolved to drink more water, so she put automatic pop-up reminders in her calendar on the hour to drink a cup of water. The idea is to set aside regular time each day – and keep your goals top of mind. The more regularly you do something, the more likely you’ll incorporate it into your daily routine without thinking about. Try blocking off a half hour each afternoon on your calendar to read a trade publication or schedule 15 minutes during your coffee break to check job boards and bookmark the positions you’re interested in.
- Use the buddy system. In other words, find someone to keep you accountable. If your resolution is to exercise more often, you’re more likely to be successful if you make plans to meet a friend at the gym each day or schedule a lunchtime walk with a co-worker. The same goes for your job search. If you don’t have a friend also looking for a job, working with a recruiter is a great way to have someone who can check in on you and give you those nudges to stay motivated.
- Recognize that you will fall off the wagon – but don’t give up. There are so many things that can derail our progress. Life is hectic! When you slip up or start to get off track, it’s easy to just promise yourself you’ll get back to it when you have more time or abandon your job search entirely. But don’t! Remind yourself why you started your job search in the first place – whether it’s to go from simply making a living to doing something you love, challenging yourself to learn new skills, or finding a job that provides better compensation, benefits, or culture – and then get back on the wagon. It’s inevitable to have set-backs; what’s important is to recognize them and adjust your plan accordingly to get back on track.
There’s never been a better time to make a career leap. With low unemployment rates, job opportunities are plentiful. BANKW Staffing is available to help you manage your career and find a job that’s the right fit for you. Make 2022 the year you stick to your resolution and achieve your goal!
About BANKW Staffing
Through its portfolio companies, KBW Financial Staffing & Recruiting, Alexander Technology Group, The Nagler Group, Sales Search Partners, and KNF&T Staffing Resources, BANKW Staffing, LLC is the leading regional provider of temporary and direct-hire staffing services in the areas of finance, accounting, information technology, office and administration, legal, human resources, and sales.
BANKW Staffing companies have received over 100 awards for rapid growth, business excellence, and workplace quality. Recognition includes Inc. 500, Boston Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” and Business NH Magazine’s “Business of the Year”.
Learn More – http://www.bankwstaffing.com
Please send media requests to email@example.com or contact us directly at 603-637-4500.